The Wildgoose Chase

I met Chelsea Pensioner Walter Wildgoose in 1977 when he was 87 and I was 26. Through a series of letters written over the last year of his life, he passed along his life story - the workhouse children's home, a life in the British Army witnessing the opening battles of World War I and life in India, a remarkable family surviving the bombs of World War II London. This blog will document my research and progress on the novel I'm writing about this amazing man.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

My Chelsea Pensioner

Since the original photos I put up of Walter are now archived for the month, I just wanted to post a another of his Chelsea Pensioner pictures. I like to keep an image of the Walter I knew in my head as I'm digging into his early years. I can still hear his voice and his turn of phrase, but it's hard for me to hear his young voice. I'll have to have someone who is more familiar with the dialect and idiom of his time and space go over my writing to make it more authentic. Anyway - here's to a fine gentleman, Walter Wildgoose.
Bookmark and Share
posted by MaryB @ 1:53 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home