The Wildgoose Chase

I met Chelsea Pensioner Walter Wildgoose in 1977 when he was 87 and I was 26. Through a series of letters written over the last year of his life, he passed along his life story - the workhouse children's home, a life in the British Army witnessing the opening battles of World War I and life in India, a remarkable family surviving the bombs of World War II London. This blog will document my research and progress on the novel I'm writing about this amazing man.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The golden year

I realize that the last few posts have been sad ones, centering on the loss of young Walter and Cyril and Walter's bout with typhoid fever. Thoughout these hardships and separations, May and Walter were unshakeable. Fast forward 45 years:

1965 came along . . . This was our “Golden Wedding” year, and May made the special preparations for the occasion. She was very good at making cakes. She made a three tier cake and iced it with sentimental greetings on it. There was quite a gathering in 23 Clifford Avenue that night, but there were no undue noisy behaviors, as I didn’t want my neighbours disturbed, as the walls were not properly insulated. We were both seventy five years of age, as I was two weeks the senior.

Isn't that so like Walter? Making sure not to disturb the neighbors during the party? He and May made a formidable team.
Bookmark and Share
posted by MaryB @ 1:49 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home