The Wildgoose Chase

I met Chelsea Pensioner Walter Wildgoose in 1977 when he was 87 and I was 26. Through a series of letters written over the last year of his life, he passed along his life story - the workhouse children's home, a life in the British Army witnessing the opening battles of World War I and life in India, a remarkable family surviving the bombs of World War II London. This blog will document my research and progress on the novel I'm writing about this amazing man.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Happy 116, Walter!

Section of Walter's Birth Certificate, registered in Canterbury

Walter, May, Baby Walter 1917


Walter, Ron, May 1936


Walter, Royal Hospital Chelsea c. 1978

Walter Wildgoose, born 10 February 1890. Happy 116th Birthday, you great man!
Bookmark and Share
posted by MaryB @ 5:41 AM  

3 Comments:

  • At 6:51 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    I am thrilled to have found your blog. And a wonderful blog it is!

    My Grandfather was born on 10 Feb 1890, he was also of the Union Workhouse of Sheffield (Fir Vale), and also sent to the Southampton (1901)!! He also had a brother named Harry - who was indeed shipped off by Barnardos to Canada. My Grandfather and Walter would have had many shared experiences - including the war.

     
  • At 7:06 PM , Blogger MaryB said...

    Dawn - Yes! Your grandfather and Walter (and brother Bert) would've been in the workhouse at the same time. And the Southampton connection, too. Thank you for letting me know about this connection.

     
  • At 1:59 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    How wonderful that Walter shared his story in such great depth with you. It was a gift really. You hold this man's history, one that is rich and truly moving. I am glad you are sharing it. I look forward to reading it all. I am just starting one of mine own on my family history. I will always be thinking of Walter now on my Grandpa's birthday since they share the same day!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home