The Wildgoose Chase

I met Chelsea Pensioner Walter Wildgoose in 1977 when he was 87 and I was 26. Through a series of letters written over the last year of his life, he passed along his life story - the workhouse children's home, a life in the British Army witnessing the opening battles of World War I and life in India, a remarkable family surviving the bombs of World War II London. This blog will document my research and progress on the novel I'm writing about this amazing man.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

In Remembrance


For Walter who made it through World War I to live a nice, long life, and for his brother Bert, who died at the Battle of Aubers Ridge in 1915.
Bookmark and Share
posted by MaryB @ 3:45 PM  

3 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Mary,

    I hope you don't mind me contacting you 'out of the blue' like this but I'm interested in your blog about Walter Wildgoose which I stumbled across the other day. I'm currently in the process of writing a book about the 1st Lincolnshire Regiment in the Great War and have been trying to gather together as many first-hand accounts from men who served with the Regiment as possible. I already have a few quotations from Walter Wildgoose which I found in the 'The Mons Star' by David Ascoli. If it's okay with you I would like to use some of his accounts from your blog. I would also be very interested to know if you had any more letters from Walter relating to his service with the Lincolnshire Regiment. I would be extremely grateful for any assistance you could provide.

    Kind regards,
    Jonathan

     
  • At 11:11 AM , Blogger MaryB said...

    Hi Jonathan,

    I don't mind sharing Walter's letters re: the Lincolnshire Regiment. If you'll let me know your email address, I can forward them to you -

    Mary

     
  • At 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Mary - thanks for getting back to me so soon. My email address is jonathancapek@hotmail.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home